Traces of a rural past
Carona, a historic town in the Val Caronella, is located on the Orobic slope of the municipality of Teglio, at an altitude of 1100 m. The patron saint of the town is Saint Homobonus, the same as for the city of Cremona, from which the surnames of various local families originate. The story is told, in fact, that a group of inhabitants of Cremona, escaping from the destructions of Barbarossa, came here in around the 12th century. A zone where already for some time iron extracted from the mines of the nearby Val Belviso and the Val Caronella was worked. Over the years the population moved downhill, but they continue to repopulate the town during the summer months. Here the church of Sant'Omobono, with its paintings from the 15th-16th century and adjacent oratory, deserves a visit. As well as the Ethnographic Museum, established by the Association Friends of Carona, where traditional objects and tools are on display. The visit cannot end without a walk up to the panoramic balcony looking out over Mount Combolo and the Valley and a good plate of pizzoccheri.